Room Parent Sign Up
If you are interested in being a Room Parent, please fill out the room parent signup form by September 20, 2019.
Please note that the current Ann Arbor Public Schools District policy is that all volunteers have a background check on file. Our BPE Office Professional, Kathy Cramer, referenced this in her class placement letters that went out on 8/27/19. Please return your completed Volunteer Background Check Form to the Burns Park Elementary Office staff. The background check takes about a week to process and will need to be renewed every school year.
Room Parent Role
Room Parents and Room Parent Committees are essential in coordinating parent involvement in classroom and school-wide activities and facilitating the exchange of information. Each teacher is different and has different needs and expectations for room parents. Teachers will communicate those needs. There are core activities that room parents are responsible for in every class that include:
- Communicating classroom specific events and activities to parents
- Coordinating volunteers for classroom specific activities (e.g. Art, Library, and other activities as requested by teacher)
- Coordinating volunteers for some designated school-wide events (e.g. class table at ice cream social)
- Planning class parties (e.g. Halloween, Winter, Valentine’s Day, End of Year)
- Taking pictures of your class activities for year book
- Coordinating teachers gifts (optional)
Everyone who is interested in being a room parent will be given an opportunity to be a room parent. For classrooms with multiple room parents, there will be a room parent committee that works together to plan and communicate activities.
Room Parent Information Session
There will be a room parent information session on September 17 at 7:30 pm in the Burns Park Media Center following curriculum night. This will be a great way for you to learn more about the role, ask questions, and meet other room parents.
If you have any questions before that please reach out to Mayuri Guntupalli & Ry4an Brase your PTO volunteer co-coordinators
Already a Room Parent?
Visit our Room Parent Toolkit.
- Saturday, September 21
- Wednesday, September 25
- Friday, September 27
- Wednesday, October 23
- Wednesday, October 30
- Tuesday, November 5
- Wednesday, November 20
- Wednesday, November 27